Making the Best Better, One Choice at a Time
The A-dec vision began with a simple idea: make the best better.
From our simple beginnings, A-dec has emerged as one of the most respected names in the dental industry. In 1964, founders Ken and Joan Austin made the biggest choice of their lives: risk it all to start a company of their own. Little did they know that an invention and a dream would help revolutionize the world of dentistry.
More than 50 years later, A-dec is an employer of choice and the world’s leading manufacturer of reliable dental operatory equipment. We continue to work for the betterment of dentistry. That’s why we embed our values into the work we do every day. One choice at a time.
The A-dec Way
At A-dec, our working philosophy is a commitment to strive for excellence in all we do. From the time co-founders Ken and Joan Austin were hiring their first employees, they held firm to a set of principles, The A-dec Way:
1. Concern for People
2. Provide opportunities and assist in self-development
3. Provide an atmosphere encouraging self-satisfaction and pride
4. Encourage team effort
5. Maintain complete fairness, honesty and integrity
6. Maintain open consistent and regular communication
7. Encourage public service
8. Encourage creativity
9. Commitment to quality and productivity
10. Maintain consistency
11. Dedication to improvement
12. Keep things simple and basic
13. Build on the basis of "need"
14. Attention to detail
15. Conserve resources
Although the world has changed since our company was founded, our values have never wavered. The A-dec Way continues to guide the company today, into our tomorrow.
Global Community Service
Giving back to our community and helping others is at the heart of A-dec. That’s why our employees raise thousands of dollars each year for fellow employees in need. They partner with customers to donate used dental equipment to clinics in underdeveloped countries. They build clearer pathways to education for youth in China. They strengthen local healthcare systems in the UK.
Why do we give? Because together, we can help make our communities stronger, healthier, and more successful.
Rota-Dent & TotaChair
A-dec co-founder Ken Austin was determined to create a partnership with Rotary Clubs to help bring portable dental solutions to under-served populations around the world. In response, Ken engineered the Rota-Dent and TotaChair. Today, more than 80,000 people have received care from outreach volunteers using this unique equipment.
Awards & Accolades
We are always honored when the work we love to do is recognized. Here are a few of the awards we have received from business and community organizations:
- Dentaltown “Townie Choice Awards” — Recognized consecutively for 20 years
- Portland Business Journal’s “Oregon’s Most Admired Companies” — Recognized consecutively for more than 10 years
- Energage's "Top Workplaces USA" — Recipient of a Top Workplace award for the United States (2023)
- Oregonian “Top Workplaces” — Recipient of the Gold Ribbon Top Workplace award for Oregon (2022)
- Oregon Resource Association’s Employer of the Year Award, in recognition of significant contributions to the employment of individuals with disabilities (2017)
- United Way Community Builder Award, Community Leadership Award (2015, 2016)